Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I Love Weather

Throughout this winter season, I've been obsessed with the state of the pond behind our apartment. It always seems to freeze and attract wild life in strange and beautiful patterns. I first noticed it last January when it froze in a weird S-shape:



Since then, I've hauled out the camera on seven different occasions to document the pond's condition, often making me leave late for work. Here's a snowy S covered with geese:




On this clear day, most of the pond is frozen except for a ring around the edge:



Frozen pond with goose sprinkles:



Windy day. Pond is half frozen and half choppy:



And two more:




I bring this up because I got an unexpected surprise this morning. I've been sick the last four days, and missed last Friday and yesterday (Monday) from work. This morning I was feeling better and ready to get back to work. In the bathroom I heard a weather report that there would be a winter storm warning today and we might get 3-5 inches snow this evening. Hmmm, I thought, maybe we'll get a snow day tomorrow. I got showered and dressed and was eating breakfast when the phone rang. At 6:30 in the morning, the only reason our phone ever rings is that my boss is calling me to tell me that the college is closed. That was, in fact, what happened. I was confused, because this is what the pond looks like this morning:



As you can see, there is no snow. There is also no ice. Here is what the main road in front of our apartment looks like this morning:



Notice the presence of cars and the absence of any kind of inclement weather. Apparently, the weather is a lot worse down south where my college is. So after a 4-day weekend (I was weak with a slight fever and much sniffles), I get an unexpected extra day off.

I don't know what to do with myself today, hence this long-ass photo-filled blog.

UPDATE: 3 hours later, the snow has come. Here's the field in front of our house:

No comments: