Thursday, February 14, 2008

We don't need no stinkin' Valentine's Day

It's February 14, and at the university press where I work, that means . . .

Arizona Statehood Day Party!

Yes, folks, instead of candy hearts and valentines, at my workplace we mark February 14th with enchiladas and a big light-up cactus. According to press lore, the party was the brainchild of a former rights and permissions manager who was a native Arizonan and bore a healthy dislike of Hearts-and-Flowers Day. She doesn't work here anymore, but a fellow Arizonan has carried on the tradition and we've been celebrating the anniversary of Arizona joining the union with a Mexican-themed lunchtime potluck for the past eleven years. Of course, the Native Americanist in me isn't totally thrilled that we're celebrating Arizona's statehood -- but I have to admit that it's a better alternative than Valentine's Day.

And did I mention that I love my job?

2 comments:

Dan S said...

Doesn't a day devoted to Arizona mean that you are excluding all 49 other states? Isn't Arizona Heritage Day really an Illinois Sucks Day?

I am dissapointed that the U of I press would be so discriminatory.

Rebecca said...

Our discrimination is a way to separate ourselves from godless liberal "inclusive" academics whose stench permeates the air we breathe.

And besides, the Illinois founding fathers should have had the foresight to join the union on February 14.